Thursday, December 1, 2011

Blog Thesis

So I’m driving around with my Mom over Thanksgiving weekend, probably doing a little shopping or talking about this year’s successful Thanksgiving (My wife and I hosted in our new home. Good food, great time cooking and no drama with any family members).

She starts talking about my Dad, who died a few years ago. (Don’t freak out on me, this blog isn’t about my Dad, your Dad or my grief. Stay with me here.) Turns our a small business owner back home (he owns a dog kennel) that we’ve known for years told her he was thinking about my Dad recently and that, “He was a good man.”

We both smiled, I mean who wouldn’t want to hear that about their Dad? What a wonderful gift to leave behind for family members.

It got me thinking, though, about my own life. Most days, I try to be the best version of myself as I can manage. Titles can get in my way, and when I focus too hard on being a friend, husband, employee I can turn into kind of an asshole. The trick is, that when I focus on being the best Dan I can manage, I end up being a really good friend/husband/employee.

So how does being a good man fit into that? How does being Dan and a good man match up? Where doesn’t it match up? That’s what this blog is all about. Figuring out how being the best version of me also helps me be the kind of man a kennel owner will talk about with my family after I’m gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment