Sunday, April 15, 2012

I don't have a passion, I'm passionate

Being a Cleveland fan in Minnesota makes it difficult to talk Tribe with anyone other than my wife.  She’s not an Indians fan, native Minnesotan so she loves her some Twins, but she understands how important it is for me to have someone to grumble to when we blow 9th innings or some *cough Sizemore cough* ends up on the DL, again.  

So she listened politely as we rustled through the Sunday morning paper (we, like everyone under 40, get most of our news from the internet, but I love newspapers too much to give up on them entirely), sipped our coffee and I explained how important last night’s game was to Cleveland baseball.

As entertaining as Eric Wedge’s facial tics were as he sat motionless in the dugout in the early 2000s, having a team that shows actual passion out on the field is wonderful.  I agree with similar tweets that I’m much more comfortable seeing where this kind of emotional energy leads us instead of relying on even keel baseball stats to win games.

When Gomez hit Moustakas and got ejected in the third, it showed a passionate side to the Indians that we haven’t seen in a while. Then, when Choo hit the go ahead double? That's right, a passionate side that actually wins games. Wins. Games. I love that intensity. I want to see it from all athletes, from
my 9th grade lacrosse team to professionals making millions of dollars.  I know it’s a business, but lets see some excitement out there.


Wedge was all about stats.  Lets all play the same every day and statistically we’ll beat them in the long haul.  Whenever we saw his teams get too excited, in one direction or another, they fell apart.  Every time.  Plus the riffs within the teams showed that not everyone can put on the emotionless mask as easily as others.  Remember Cliff Lee throwing his glove into the stands?  Or when he shat all over Cleveland fans after being traded to the Phillies?  How about the Brandon Phillips mess?  






Time and again, the Indians didn’t know what to do with passionate guys who didn’t fit the mold Wedge was trying to build.  That mold though?  It lost big games, because people get excited about big games.  Hell, WE WANT THEM TO GET EXCITED ABOUT BIG GAMES.  I want someone who has the same passion I do for Cleveland baseball and then go perform.  Not a robot who reaches a big point and collapses under the stress of the situation and the stress of keeping his emotions in check.

Let’s get excited out there and have some fun, and I’m glad Acta’s style plays into that mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment