Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thoughtful Conservative Manifesto: Introduction

Don’t think my lack of writing implies a lack of worthwhile ideas or an abandonment for my tens of readers.  I’ve been avoiding an idea since election day, and that avoidance, not unexpectedly, repelled all other blogging intentions.  In fact, my commitment to my avoidance became so serious I thought of posting this just to post something.

Perhaps I needed to hit rock bottom, or at least think about hitting rock bottom, to understand that an idea that won’t let go isn’t something to fear.  It’s just a thing that needs to be done.

So lets just say what I’ve been thinking about for most of November:  I wasn’t excited to vote for President Obama in 2012, I was resigned to it.

See, I remember being excited to vote in 2008.  When Obama appeared offering intellectualism, change and hope for a better way of doing things I jumped right in line.  The previous eight years felt dysfunctional and the idea of ‘change’ rang true with me and a lot of other people.

So if I’m anything but excited to vote for Obama in 2012, does that mean I voted for Romney?  Hell, no.  The Republicans offered nothing new and seemed to think their sneering disdain for any idea not conceived in the 1980s would win me over.  You know what else wasn’t around in 1982?  High speed internet, global warming and me.  Their refusal to acknowledge the impact these things may have on potential solutions felt inauthentic and manipulative.  Stop telling me about Big Bird and tax cuts.  You should have been telling me about overhauling Social Security and giving specifics on how to fix the deficit that make sense.  

Still, though, I remain someone who values personal responsibility, a strong national defense and a belief that most large bureaucratic bodies are worthlessly inefficient.   The national debt scares the hell out of me and I think the Democrats unwillingness to challenge teacher’s unions is suffocating our public school system. So where's my political party? I'm not sure.

So this idea that’s been stalking my thoughts isn’t a declaration to a political party or an indepth breakdown of issues or even predictions for the future.  It’s the admission and expansion of a realization I’ve come to recently:  I’m a thoughtful conservative.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment